Sunday, January 07, 2007

What color is that?

On my way home from the gym yesterday morning, I was walking by a flower vendor on Boylston Street. These calla lilies caught my eye and I wound up stopping and picking up some cheap cheer for the house. I have been trying to decide exactly what shade the callas are. I found myself thinking "Aubergine". This reminded me of a conversation I once had with my daughter and her then husband.

We were driving up to my parents and as we were navigating our way out of Boston, we were cut off by a Volvo. My daughter's ex, who I will refer to as Numbnuts, said something to the effect of, "What the hell was that purple car thinking?"

My daughter said,"Honey, it's not purple, it's periwinkle."

Numbnuts looked at the offending car, then at me. He turned around to look at my daughter who was in the backseat with the kids.

"Periwinkle!", he said, "God, you can tell your father is gay."