Thursday, June 07, 2007

Fer the birds

A couple of days ago, a sparrow got into one of the faculty offices. It seems that part of my job includes evicting unwanted wildlife from senior faculty office space. (note to self, anyone untenured can just take care of themselves)

We actually got the little guy out with a minimum of fuss by opening the window and shooing it out.

Working in academia is like living in a small town and word gets around. One of the senior academic administrators heard about this incident and was asking the Prof. and me about it.

Me: Once I found a baseball bat, things went a little better.

Prof: Yes, though in retrospect the hammer wasn't such a good idea. I think it was the way the wings kept flapping that got to me.

Me: I know what you mean.

Prof: Once we tipped the bookcase over onto it though that really seemed to stop all movement.

Me: Yeah, though we are going to have to get custodial services to come up and clean the rest of it out of the rug.

It was worth it, just to see the look on her face.

Disclaimer: No actual sparrows were hurt during this blog entry.