Saturday, March 17, 2007

St. Paddy's

I am not a big fan of St. Patrick's Day. It probably has to do with all of the Irish nuns I had in elementary school, and their... negative... attitude toward all the little Kanuck's in St. Mary of the Seven Dolors, maybe it was the Ryan family across the street, whatever the case it has been influenced by a group of people who will tell you they are Irish, but have never set foot in Ireland. What it generally means for me is that I can either stay at home or spend the day dodging belligerent drunks in green who are shithammered by noon. And for my money, Kelley Green is one of the most hideous shades ever perpetrated. On top of this, we have had a major snow,rain, sleet and shit storm here in good old Boston, which has knocked out my land line and consequently, my DSL. I'm cranky, I am without internet, and I am in fucking Starbucks, paying for T-mobile, because the Finagle a Bagel closed up shop on Newbury Street and I can't think of anywhere else to mooch free internet bandwidth.

To add insult to injury, the friggin' parade isn't until tomorrow, so that means all of the asshats will have an extra day to make drunken nuisances of themselves.

All that said, the sodden are not the true enemy. the true enemy is Verizon! I called the phone company up, and got one of those avatars that is suppose to make me feel like I am talking to a real person. The similarity is quite striking. Both are clueless, unhelpful and both will only schedule a repairman several days in the future, and give you a service window that encompasses a 12 hour period. These miserable shites have been robbing me blind for years. I am usually coming in at around 100.00+ a month for phone service and internet. I think the day has arrived to dump the whole mess and get a cable connection and live with my cell phone. I have a pay as you go plan, but I really don't see it making a huge difference in my life. I spend next to no time on the phone, and even if I do rack up more minutes it will still be cheaper than what I am currently paying for my land line.

Of course this is going to involve getting involved with Comcast! I hate to imagine the negotiations since I only want internet access, not cable TV. It is Unamerican of me I realize, but I don't watch TV. I do not watch, Survivor, Desperate Housewives, American Idol or any of the other narcotics that are being televised to a willing public and I have to say that they all sound so insipid, I have no interest in watching them. This kind of leaves me bereft of water cooler conversation, but it means that we have to talk about more interesting subjects like, our sex lives and speculating about the private lives of our co-workers.

As I read this, I realize it is all ranting. Too bad! I have been inconvenienced and therefore Verizon's corporate headquarters should be razed to the ground and the earth should be sown with salt, and all who are in power there and their minions should be sold into perpetual servitude.

As soon as I come up with a plan, I'll let you know.