Monday, March 12, 2007

Stardust


Sometimes I wonder why I spend
The lonely night dreaming of a song
The melody haunts my reverie
And I am once again with you
When our love was new
And each kiss an inspiration
But that was long ago
Now my consolation
Is in the stardust of a song

Stardust

Hoagy Carmichael: music

Mitchell Parish: lyrics

This morning I was awakened by the clock radio to the sounds of Nat King Cole singing "This Must Be Love". It was a Cole orgy going on, and as I worked my way through coffee, feeding the cat and getting ready to head out the door I was serenaded by the soundtrack of my childhood. In the 45 minutes I had before I left for the gym and work I heard a lot of songs than harkened back to the early 60's when I was a small child. Among the selections was Stardust which is for me even more of a signature song for Cole than even Mona Lisa or My Sweet Lorraine. Since I am dragging you down Memory Lane with me, I figure I might as well give you an idea of what I looked like at any earlier time in my life. This is me when I was about 35, still had hair, and wasn't grey. Not the prettiest girl in the class, but not that bad.