Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Brrrr.....

January finally arrived. I was too asleep on the way to the gym to really notice how cold it was, though I had checked the temperature on my way out the door and it was 12 degrees. However, after being put through my paces by the trainer and a nice hot shower I was wide awake when I walked out the door and a 20 mph wind hit me as I went around the corner of Tremont and Boylston. The residual moisture in my beard from the shower immediately turned into ice. By the time I got to my usual coffee shop, my breath had iced over my moustache. I feel like a terrible wimp, but usually winter is a fairly gradual process that leads up to this type of weather. I feel like I have just been dropped into a tub of ice after sitting in the sun for a couple of hours. This is not weather to inspire me to get out and go. But, want to or not, I am on my new schedule and since this is more a study in disipline for me than anything else I will be heading out at my ungodly hour again tomorrow to fight the good fight.

At least I am finally feeling like it is winter and it is starting to awaken my impatience for spring and working in my garden again. I haven't fantasized about possible plantings or made any plans at all since the end of the growing season since I have been in a prolonged autumn slump where I am usually grateful that I don't have to go out and pull weeds. I have been aware for a long time that I am a creature of habit, but I am realizing more and more how dependant I am on cycles as well. Time to look at the gardening catalogs, and shop for a new picture hat.