Sunday, January 21, 2007

Blah

I have a cold. It snuck up on me. I got up yesterday feeling full of piss and vinegar and went off to the gym and proceeded to have a particularly good workout. I decided to treat myself to a danish and coffee on the way home. There was a snow flurry going on as I sat in the coffee shop and I people watched and wondered if maybe I should go out for a switch on a Saturday night and see what the rest of the world was up to.

I got home and began the tedious procedure of installing my new hard drive in the laptop, so while the software was loading I went grocery shopping and then made stuffed cabbage occasionally going over to the computer and hitting the return key. Around noon I started to get a runny nose and figured it was due to the cold temperatures. By around 3 I was getting a scratchy throat and by 8, I had to admit to myself I was getting sick. Rather than fight it I just went to bed. 5 this morning rolled around and Alice dragged me out of bed demanding her breakfast, the price I pay for having thumbs. I took my vitamins and my Chantix and surveying my kingdom, realizing I have to do some laundry, I did the only sensible thing. I went back to bed.

It's now around 9:30 and I am lying here in bed, still thinking about the laundry. It seems like an insurmountable task. I hate colds. It is not as though I am on deaths door. I will go off to work tomorrow, I will eventually get out of bed and at least wash some socks and undies, it will just seem like more of a chore than it is. I don't have anyone around that I can get to do things for me, and that has never been a strong suit for me anyway. I've known a few people over the years that enjoyed being sick. They would always get people to come over and do things for them, bring them orange juice and tell them what a poor baby they are. I just want to be left alone. I don't want to be around other people, I just want to get better and not feel like I have been through the wringer. I know that it is not even a bad cold and I will probably be back to normal in a couple of days, so I will try to make the best of it. I will make myself tea, I will start rereading "The Portrait of a Lady", a book that I loved in my youth and I would like to see if I still love in middle age. I will in general take it easy, quietly alone at home and maybe try and get some work done on my computer since I now have the advantage once more of portability. I have also discovered just writing this that the laptop also makes a great heating pad. It can't be all bad.