Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Mr. Cranky

I am in a foul mood today. At the behest of the idiots of the phone company, I wound up taking the morning off from work, so I could sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for a repairman to come around. I was told they would be there between 8 and 12. I kind of thought that this was going to be an exercise in futility, since they had pretty much told me that this was a problem with the cables in my neighborhood, but what do I know?

After hurrying through my workout and tearing out of the gym without a shower, I made it home at 8 on the dot. I then sat around, and sat around and sat around waiting for my cell phone to ring. It kinda goes without saying that no one ever came. I'm a sport, sort of, so I waited until 5 past noon to call up Verizon and let them know that the repairman never showed up.

The thrust of my conversation with the customer service center was that there was major cable failure in my neighborhood, there was no point in my taking the day off and loosing the mornings pay, since there was nothing that could be done from my house. Period.

I think you could now call me the Angry Evil Ganome, with at this point extra evil. I know that it's pointless. I can get as steamed up about this as I want, it will not change things, get me my pay that I've missed or in any way adversely effect the phone company. The only thing I can say at for certain at this point is that this has further stiffened my resolve to abandon Verizon once and for all and just go with a cable modem and my cell phone. Of course this will involve setting up an account with Comcast and having to pay an installation fee, so this is not going to happen immediately, I first have to catch up on some of the pay I lost fucking around today waiting for the phone company to show up.

Well, it would seem that I will just have to content myself with using public internet at the library, or shell out a couple of bucks at local coffee houses to use their service until the forces that be return me to the land of the connected.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go to the dentist.