Friday, February 23, 2007

Train Wreck

I got home from work last night with all of the best of intentions as far as writing an entry. However, once I got home, it was night of the living dead all over. My brain had left work for the day and by 8:30 it was bed time. My head hit the pillow and I was out like a light.

Good huh? Not quite. While I can no longer recall the content I was woken up at 1:00 by weird dreams and I mean awake. It was one of those rare instances for me of going from dead sleep to wide awake. Ordinarily, first thing in the morning I am a danger to myself and others until I've poured a couple of cups of coffee down my throat. So I just rolled over and started to weigh the choices of trying to go back to sleep or just getting up. Since I was suppose to go in and do a leg workout this morning, I decided to opt for at least trying to sleep some more. I rolled over and started to go through the late night/early morning involuntary inventory of every problem that I am currently trying to get myself out of. Finally I rolled over and looked at the clock and it was 2:30. Shit! I decided, fuck it, I'd just get up, leaned back and closed my eyes. When I opened them again, it was 5:30. Great. Just the time I am usually heading out the door. I ran around the house, trying to put up lunch, brush teeth, remember pants go over underwear, ON YOUR LEGS STUPID, NOT YOUR ARMS, YOUR LEGS! At some point I just said to hell with it. I will do one of my least favorite things, go to the gym after work.

This morning I guess it was brought to home to me that I am taking everything all too seriously. Not in a good way. Sure, I need to take work and my work out seriously, or I will set myself up for failure, but if you don't have some fun, you're doing it wrong. So it seems like my workout is a good place to start, since, let's face it good pecs are lots of fun, though for me usually, someone elses are more fun. So, first step, remind myself that my workout is actually fun.

Step 2: Try and make work fun again. This may require tranquilizers, some duct tape and a cattle prod. I said fun, I didn't say nice.