Saturday, December 20, 2008

Bread and Soup



It is pretty snowy here in Boston. We got about a foot of snow last night and it has been spitting snow all day. Plus it's colder than the balls on a brass monkey. Though it doesn't feel that bad because for a switch, the wind is giving us a break.

However, to get into the spirit of the thing, I decided to get all domestic and make pea soup and bread. The pea soup by the way rocks. If you don't believe me, ask RG who came over for a visit. He was going to leave before the soup was done, but with very little arm twisting he agreed to stay until the bread was baked and the soup was ready. Either he really liked the soup or he's a really good actor, since he ate 2 bowls.

The bread was okay. I was trying out a new recipe for whole wheat bread and next time I think I will add a little more salt. It's not terrible, but it was a tad on the bland side. Nice texture, but I think it needed a bit more salt to bring up the flavor.

So, I am full of soup and bread and I may need to have a brief food coma before I tackle cleaning my now restored bathroom.

I kind of love the first few days of winter that are like this when spending the day being domestic and making cold weather food still has the novelty factor going for it. By mid January I am going to be losing my mind and praying for warm weather. For now, I'm just going to enjoy it.