Thursday, September 25, 2008

Snot funny

I would like to know what earthly purpose ragweed serves, other than making my life a misery.

I would also like to know where all these allergies came from.

When I was a kid, nothing bothered me. I could roll in poison ivy and I wouldn't break out, for Christ's sake. Now, every spring when the trees are feeling frisky my sinuses shut down and in the autumn, when the ragweed gets going I feel like I need a respirator. Or at least a drain.

Yesterday, a friend told me about a thing called a Neti Pot. I gather that the function of this little item is to pour salt water up into your sinuses and flush them out. I think it will be a good indication of how desperate I am that I am actually going to go out and buy one of these things. And don't make that face! You're not the one that is going to have to use the thing.

For me the worst part is that feeling like someone came in the night and poured concrete into my sinuses makes the act of concentrating next to impossible. Unfortunately, I have a job that requires me to pay attention. What with one thing and another, I have the attention span of a goldfish right at the moment.

I should be looking at the bright side of all this. Considering the state of the world right now, it is probably just as well that I cannot hold anything in my mind much longer than about 5 seconds.

Then there is the fact that this has been screwing with my workout. I am hesitant to go into the gym when I have to worry about dropping a heavy weight on my head.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that this too shall pass. We are bound to get a hard frost soon, which should take care of things for another year. Until then, if my posts seem incomprehensible at least you know I'm not on drugs. Other than decongestants.