Tuesday, July 01, 2008

You can keep your hat on



As anyone who follows this blog knows, I spend a lot of time at the gym. You probably also know that I am generally dissatisfied with the results. Consequently I have been reading a lot to improve my workout, diet and generally trying to find ways to slow the effects of gravity and age.

I am pretty good about following exercise routines, even ones I hate and diet guidelines, regardless of how bland it might get (that is what cheat days are for) One thing I have not been good about is "record keeping".

Just about everything I read suggests that you take pictures at regular set intervals to see how things are coming along. In my heart of hearts, I know this is good advice, but I am just reluctant.

Lately, I have been getting some compliments on my appearance. Some from friends and more importantly from friends who are not ones to hand out empty praise, but what pushed me over the edge to take some photos yesterday was when, as I was walking home from work, I was accosted by a drag queen. I was walking across the Charlesgate flyover and she was settling into a little park area with her entourage and an umbrella festooned with streamers and balloons to keep the sun off in the most festive manner.

She shouted up to me, "You looking good! I love me some muscly men! You single, honey?"

I shouted back a hello and a thank you.

After 30 plus years of encounters with drag queens, if one of those girls are telling you you're looking good, you probably do. Since they will also have no trouble at all letting you know if you are just a mess and really need to rethink your look.

After this bit of encouragement, I went home, got out the camera and ya' know what. Not too shabby. There is still room for improvement, and I would love to get rid of the snack pack (thanks for that expression Tater) but really pretty good.

So, without further ado....



Not too bad for an old bag.