Friday, February 22, 2008

Return of the prodigal

I got my cell phone back this morning. You know how you have those fantasies that the person who returns your cell phone, pushes you out of the ditch, helps you up if you slip in the sidewalk, whatever, will be Mr. Moviestar.

You know how it's always some shmoe that looks pretty much like you do.

Mr. Moviestar returned the phone.

Ugh.

And he's nice.

Double ugh!

When I went to get my phone this morning, I was expecting to meet some nice Joe who was just a good Samaritan. Instead I meet some 6'+ matinee idol with black hair and blue eyes, who has the nerve to be a nice guy.

It's discouraging.

He obviously didn't get the memo that if you are in your 20's, handsome and cause old men's tongues to drag on the lobby floor, it is your right, nay, your duty to be a complete and utter jerk.

At any rate, I offered him a $20 and he wouldn't take it. He told me he just wanted to do something nice. I said, you are saving me from a world of screaming from my AO, and he could look at it as my buying him his first cup of coffee for the week. He wouldn't take it.

So, I guess there are a couple of morals to this story. Even really attractive people can be nice in spite of some of our most dearly held beliefs. There really are nice people out there who just want to do the right thing in small ways that actually are important. I should hook my cell phone to my belt and not my pants pocket.

Oh yeah, I really need to start saving for that face lift.