Thursday, February 21, 2008

Good Samaritan

It has been an aggravating 2 weeks for me. With one thing and another, dealing with uncooperative businesses, new semester nonsense, the tail end of the cold that refuses to die and any number of small problems. Then, this morning, I lost my cell phone. Not my cell phone, my cell phone, but my work cell phone, cell phone.

I hadn't even noticed and then one of my coworkers called up to tell me that she had received a text from the work phone, telling here that someone had found the phone and would like me to contact him so he could return it.

I have never actually lost a cell phone before, but I have returned a couple and people were always stupidly grateful. Or so it seemed at the time.

My losing the phone would not have been the end of the world. I would have had to put up with a certain amount of grief from the Uberboss, who would have been very unhappy about replacing it and I would have had to try and retrieve all my contact information which was in my cell phone, which would have been a lot more aggravating.

As luck would have it I actually dropped the phone fairly close to home and the young man that found it lives one door down from me on my street. I will be getting the phone back (one of those blessing and curse situations) tomorrow morning. I am feeling pathetically grateful and have to figure out something nice to do for this guy. I figure I will offer him a $20 as a reward for his good citizenship. If he refuses, I will try and pump enough info out of him so that I can see if a gift card from Starbucks or something similar would be welcome.

At any rate, my faith in my fellow creature has been renewed to some extent for the day. Now if I can just get people to leave me alone so I can do my work.