Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Stormy weather

Yesterday I checked the weather before I left the house and was assured it was going to be sunny and in the 80's. Not so much, until well into the afternoon. So, this morning when they were predicting a fairly dramatic drop in temperature and rain, I was all, "Oh, sure." I headed out of the house in a short sleeved shirt and it was plenty warm, even at 5:30 and the sky was less than threatening. By mid afternoon, black clouds had rolled in and a thunder squall, complete with some rather showy lightening and torrential downpours put in an appearance and the temperature dropped like a rock. Then as quickly as it started the rains stopped. Being one for dire predictions, I assumed that the weather gods would wait until I was half way across the Mass. Ave. bridge and the heavens would open again. To my surprise, the weather held until I had made it safely to my door.

If the prognosticators are to be believed, it will continue rainy and chilly over the next couple of days.

I imagine you are waiting to hear me start complaining bitterly about the weather. Sorry kids, I just can't do it. While the rain is going to impinge on my short term enjoyment of the great outdoors, a) we need the rain, it's been a very dry winter in old New England, and b) more importantly my garden could use a good drenching.

By the time late summer, early autumn rolls around I will be about gardened out. I will have become tired of dealing with weeds, vandals, insects of the bloodthirsty variety as well as those insects that will be trying to use my horticultural experiments as a buffet, and just the obligation of it all.

But it is spring. Plants that were mere shoots struggling out of the ground a few weeks ago are racing skyward. Tiny dry seeds I planted less than 2 weeks ago are already shoots. I am in the first joy of discovering new volunteers (what we call plants that arrive in our plots courtesy of avian alimentary tract.) and which annuals have graciously reseeded themselves.

Among the things that seem to be coming up in abundance right now are lupine, shirley poppies, california poppies and portulaca.

There is also the bane of my existence, bindweed as well as wild garlic which I will once again vainly engage in combat against.

All of my spring bulbs have already bloomed and faded, In their place perennial geraniums and bachelor buttons are getting ready to put on their modest show, my climbing roses that I like to think of as natures barbed wire, which will help thwart entry into my garden by the nocturnal cruisers in the park from trampling my flower beds are budding with clematis twining its way through the canes.

Spring is really here. Rainy or sunny, all working in concert to promote this fecund, even randy season. Renewing, promising, bringing hope.

The hot days of summer are ahead, bringing its own mood and agenda. Picnics, lazy days when it is good to just sit in the sun and be alive. But for now it is a busy time. Weeding, editing, visiting, renewing seasonal friendships, enjoying the seemingly unlimited possibilities that the time of year brings with it.

It has been a rather tough 3 weeks here in Ganome land. I have been a little stretched and patience is rather thin on the ground, but days like today give me hope. It may just be the time of year and the mood of renewal, watching as nature reasserts the reproductive prerogative. Whatever is keeping me buoyed up, I am willing to take it. Because it's spring and I have hope.