Monday, June 02, 2008

More gardening




I have managed to negotiate another weekend. This one was far less social, and I think I needed the break. By the end of the week, I had been just about peopled out. I think I was starting to suffer from paranoid delusions and was willing to take the most innocent remark from friends as a token of their dislike or indifference to me.

Instead I got in a little quality time with the garden. Dealing with some less than glamorous and largely unnoticable maintenance that needed to be done. There are still weeds and uprooted plants littering the paths that need to be cleaned up and old take out cups and plant containers that need to be bagged and sent off to the garbage can.

Paths need to be dug up and weeded. Should I seed them with grass?

My neighbor Mike's garden is looking great this spring. It has matured nicely and looks orderly and graceful. My own garden is starting to look like the attic of your crazy aunt who can't throw anything away. Like a messy house, there are also things I know I didn't bring in with me. Some I can't complain about too loudly. Larkspur is sprouting up everywhere. I can only guess that the birds were feasting and then suffered a serious bout of incontinence. Oh, shut up! How do you think those oddball plants that you never introduced to your garden got there? Garden fairies?

Be that as it may, I will work with what I have at hand for the summer. I think some serious rethinking and editing is going to be called for. Some plants that were living side by side in a harmonious manner are now crowding each other like fat people in a small room.

Considering food prices, I may also reconsider my boycott of food crops. I have actually put in some radishes this year and I planted a couple of green beans, so I will see just how good or bad I am about harvesting. I am looking forward to baby green beans.

All that is beside the point for now however, so instead I will settle for a feast for the eyes.