Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sunday in the Park

After the festivities on Bear Hill, I went back to the Y to take a nap. Bad move. I did wake up around 10 and tried to call RG to see when they were going to the Eagle. I got his answering service and left a message and then promptly fell back asleep. He did eventually call back, at 12:30, from the Eagle. By then I was down for the count however, so I went back to sleep and woke up at my usual ungodly hour.

After I had my shower I went out for coffee and then decided to take a walk around Central Park, since it was right outside my hotel.










It was a nice walk, though it turned into rather a longer one than I anticipated. Olmstead's design is meant to allow you to meander. Meander I did. I eventually got fairly lost and wound up somewhere in the East 90's.

Eventually, I did find my way back down to West 63rd. Stash called and we met for brunch before I got on the bus for home. Walking down 63rd, we ran into the Farmboyz, who made several suggestions as to places we could get a good brunch.

I was feign to call RG & Co., to see if they wanted to join us, figuring they were still sleeping off the night before. I found out later from CB that they were actually up around 8:30.

Stash and I finally decided on a place called Cassis, and waited 20 minutes for them to open. We had a nice meal and then it was time to collect my bag and head down to Penn Station to catch the bus.

At Columbus Circle, we did have one of those straight out of a bad comedy film moments. We were standing on the platform waiting for the train to pull in. Another train pulled in opposite on other side. Stash said, "Let's take this one, we'll only have to walk 2 blocks to get to the bus stop. As we got on to the train the train to Penn Station pulled in. Stash said something to the effect, let's grab that train. I stepped out of the car and the doors immediately closed behind me and I watched my guide head off on the NY subway system. I darted across the platform and got on the train opposite. The next thing I knew I was on the corner of 34th and 8th.

Stash showed up a couple of minutes later and we made our goodbyes as the bus pulled in.

All in all, I had a great time. I didn't get enough face time with other people. It was nice to see some of the familiar NY faces. It was also great meeting the boys from the west coast, Mark and Roger. I also got to meet Mike, of Mike in the Middle Ages. CB, who I didn't get to talk to enough, was very funny and what time I did get to visit with him was very enjoyable. RG and I will have to lure him down here to Boston.

Now it's back home and back to real life. It was great to see everyone, and like CB, I am feeling a bit melancholy. Lots of great new friends, and unfortunately, some huge geographical distances between. Hopefully, though, we will be able to continue the connections and will be seeing each other again.

Time to take a shower and head off to work.

I never did say thank you to Father Tony and Little David for taking on the task of herding cats this past weekend! Thanks for a great weekend.