Monday, August 06, 2007

Mondays

It has been a Monday all around. I have been run off my feet for most of the day, which at least has had the virtue of keeping me busy and making the day go quickly. I have had to deal with expense accounts, travel, new scholars, moving furniture, and even running to the hardware store to purchase nuts and bolts to effect a repair on some department equipment by the simple expedient that it would be faster and easier to just do it myself.

I have also been dealing with some personal stuff either via email or over the phone. Email involves the ever elusive FB, who is in the mood it seems to tear off a quick one before he heads off to Michigan for some quality time with the family. I should point out that a quick one with this character is usually around 2 hours. Fortunately he is young, so I don't have to worry about breaking him.

Cell phone conversation was not so light hearted. A friend, really more of an acquaintance just found out he is positive and is needing support. He still seems to be a bit shell shocked and seems to both want company and not want company. We chatted for a bit and finally made a date to go to the movies. 5 minutes later he called to cancel. Since I am not sure how I'd be reacting to the news, I am willing to be patient with any erratic behavior and I will try and make myself available to hang out and also to get stood up until he has a handle on things. As I said, we are not close friends, but I don't think he has many close friends, so I guess I should take it as a compliment that he feels as though I am dependable enough to lend a shoulder to cry on at this time.

The day itself is an interesting mixture of summer in New England. We started off pleasantly warm and fairly sunny, by noon the humidity had climbed up and the skies were a solid grey. We have been treated to some thunder and torrential rain, though I have not seen any flashes of lightning. Maybe they are saving the big show for the walk home. I can see it now, walking across the Mass. Ave. bridge, the cell phone goes off, it's FB so naturally I answer, big flash of lightning and I wind up as a small pile of charcoal. This would suck in so many ways, but especially in the not getting laid department.

All in all, it's a Monday. The weekend went too quickly and I am pretty sure the week itself will drag out for what seems like a month. However, I have a fun romp to look forward to tonight and for the rest of the week Monkey and I can continue to plan our overthrow of the department.