Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Rehab, no, no, no....

I have started physical therapy for my shoulder. This is not fun people. The basic lowdown is that rather than bursitis, I may in fact have arthritis in my shoulder.

I am now starting a regimen of exercises and stretches that are suppose to help. Eventually. Eventually being the operative word here. In the mean time, my left shoulder is now a low continuous throb.

I am not the chirpiest person on the planet at the best of times. The current situation is cutting into my sleep, my workout and life in general. This is making me crankier than usual and the sleep deprivation which is not helping my mood is also really screwing with my concentration. This is not lending itself to a sunny outlook.

I have learned an important lesson. The therapist told me that the longer you let these types of problems go, the longer the recovery time, so I am just going to have to be patient. So, as usual, the average male response to things "It'll get better on it's own." was not the appropriate response. I can already hear the distaff section of the cheering squad and lots of unhelpful remarks about "Well, if you'd run off to the doctors immediately... " Not helpful.

No one likes to be told they are behaving like one of their parents. I have to admit though, that my current situation has reminded me that I am, with very little effort, capable of being as stupid and pigheaded as my own dear old Dad. So I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

In the mean time my new best friend is the package of frozen peas that is doing duty as a cold compress.

Middle age is just grand. I'm really looking forward to getting older now!