Sunday, April 01, 2007

Date 2

Date number 2 went off pretty well. Mr. D. met me at Forest Hills Station and whisked me off to the wilds of Roslindale. We sat around the kitchen and talked while he made dinner. Stuffed chicken breasts and grilled asparagus. The chicken he accurately described as coming from Chernobyl farms. Each breast was about the size of a roasting chicken. In the interest of full disclosure, he stuffed them with prosciutto and pepper jack cheese and they were very good.

I also got to meet his dog, who is a very sweet critter and very well behaved. I say this a something of a dog lover, so anyone who is willing to take the time to train their dog gains points.

I also met one of his housemates, though I can't give much of an impression there. We watched a movie after dinner, and then sort of collapsed, since it turned out we had both had pretty busy days before hand. Also I was not at my most sparkling, since my first bout with hay fever has kicked in. Regardless, it was a very nice time. Which leaves only one problem. Me.

I have not really dated anyone for quite a while. Consequently I am very set in my ways. I have my own schedule and am used to accommodating myself, not other people. My usual Sunday consists of waking at my usual obscene hour and luxuriating in the weekly novelty of taking my time. Lolling around the house with coffee, feeding the cat and deciding at my own pace how I will spend my day. In the warm months, weather permitting, I will fill up a thermos and after feeding the cat, I will go over to my garden and enjoy the rare quiet in urban life in my garden, as I plan out what, if anything, I will do that day in the garden and enjoy the fruits of my labor in quiet and watch the birds as they start their day. I remember one morning sitting there, when one of the red tailed hawks came and perched on the arbor in my garden. Me watching him as he pointedly ignored me, scouting for more interesting things like voles and squirrels and songbirds.

Is this something I will feel like I will have to give up, or is it something I will have to try and learn how to share? Who knows? It is early days and I really should just try and enjoy things as they come. But I think in order for that to happen, I am going to have to accept the fact that it will involve becoming less married to routine.