Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Oh, what a thrill...

Our own Doralong has been doing some posts on under appreciated performers. This has inspired me to do a quick entry on one of my favorite under appreciated artists.

About 15 years ago, I got hipped to this fairly new C&W group called The Mavericks. They had this incredible lead singer named Raul Malo. Coming out of Miami, they didn't fit into the mold of country and western, but did record some great music, including some great interpretations of country standards.

Mr. Malo has moved on to a solo career and has been recording latin, jazz, standards and just about anything else you can imagine.

Malo has been compared to Roy Orbison, but you could also compare him to Tony Bennett. Personally, I think any comparisons are pallid, he has a unique voice that is like slow sex. There is just something incredibly romantic about his voice. In the first offering, he takes what has to be the corniest song ever perpetrated by Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald and makes you want to fall in love. (Willym, I thought you might get a kick out of this, since I am sure you were watching Nelson and Jeanette on the Saturday matinees on TV)



This second one is for my favorite telenovella fans, Nurse Dave. 'Cause, hell. It's just funny.



I have no idea what he's up to, but I'm really looking forward to the next album.